Who Needs the Ocean?

On my todo list for X-Plane 10.0: do something to get rid of the goofy reflections in the planet-wide water.  The problem is that the reflection tricks that we pull to draw water look wrong when we zoom out so much that water surfaces are curved.

So what if we just got rid of planetary water entirely?

Apparently the ocean is "full of stars"...

Here's another picture, lest you think I spend 100% of my time destroying X-Plane's shaders.

That's still in the shader development stage - I'll toss it to Javier to work out the tuning once it's a little bit further along.

This entry was posted in Blooper Reel, Development, Scenery. Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Who Needs the Ocean?

1. Philipp says:

Nice one. The second screenshot could use a lot of anti-aliasing though, especially when looking at the mountain at the horizon.

Yep - when I post pics to the dev blog I rarely bother to do things like:
      * turn on anti-aliasing
      * get rid of debug art assets and experimental stuff
      * hide whatever the hell datarefs are on the screen...
      The pics are really supposed to be "this is what we're working on" not "this is what you will see when you fly".

2. James says:

Love the Washington State 😉

3. vonhinx says:

I really like that second picture. Is that farther than can be seen in XP9?

4. Richard says:

Do you use larger, low res tiles with different textures when you zoom right out to curved planet views?

5. Deane says:

One problem I've had with X-Plane 9.x is the water is almost always moving way too fast. I'm sitting at KaiTak and the water ironically looks like a 400 mph tsunami coming in. Then, all of a sudden the surface texture switches direction or begins to moves at a normal 1-2 mph pace.

When coming in for a landing some place, quite often the water surface is moving super fast at weird directions busting the illusion entirely.