Mutli-format font support
- The generic-text instrument would be able to take a font bitmap with more than one line.
- Each line could be used for a different font, different size, or different color text.
- Control codes (ASCII 1-31) in a string DataRef (char-array type DataRef) would be interpreted as style changes. A line in the text would be selected by running the control code through the instrument’s key frame table.
OPEN ISSUE: where would line size and line formatting information be stored?
- These could be in the instrument.
- They could also be in a text file co-named with the PNG. This is a bit atypical of the generic instrument system, but since the PNG is a shared resource, it makes development simpler to have the metrics be shared too.
- A new gen_numeric instrument would use the same font formatting rules as the gen_text, for shared fonts, but use numeric datarefs.
- The key frame table would do numeric conversion.
- Numeric formatting would be by property (similar to the LED and rolling instruments).
- Color selection would be done via range bounds, similar to the pie instrument (e.g. different stripes could be selected based on five zones of dataref values).
OPEN ISSUE: should it simply be legal to allow the gen_text instrument use numeric datarefs? Pro: reduces number of instruments Con: key frame table acts differently, properties needed are very different too!