For those who cannot wait to try to get X-Plane 10 to run fast, a few tips on how to 'break down' where a bottleneck might be:
- Run with clouds vs. clear skies. The clouds chew fill rate. Are clouds the issue?
- Turn down visibility - X-Plane 10 will run at 100 nm but some machines will die with this. Does a low visibility help?
- Turn off the AI planes. Any better? They take draw time when on screen and cores.
- Turn down texture res if you haven't already. (Well, most people try that by default.) Start with low settings and work your way up.
- Try areas away from KSEA. Compare down-town to rural, and different airports.
- If you have an nvidia card before the 400 series, try running with --no_instancing from the command-line. This can particularly help Mac users.
In most cases there is only one setting killing your framerate - find it, fix it, and things get a lot better...fix it and you'll find those other settings you turned down can go up at least a bit.
The gotchas in v10 are definitely different from v9. Shadows can kill your fps in a huge way - I'll be spending a bunch of time tuning them to look better and kill fps less. Turn water reflections down if you don't need them - the "advanced" setting is frankly a bit pointless. Turn off full screen anti-aliasing if you are going to run in HDR mode, then restart the sim.