X-Plane Mobile 10.4 – Start the 737

Chris just released X-Plane 10.4 for mobile today, and it’s got something pretty cool that we’ve been working on for a while: complete interaction with the 3-d cockpit!

I worked on the original X-Plane app for the original iPhone with Austin years ago, and when we were working on this, I kept looking at the 737 on my iPhone 6 and thinking “this doesn’t seem real”.

It’s not that the 737 doesn’t seem real – it’s that it looks too real. I didn’t think we’d see this kind of detail on a mobile device.

Over the last year we unified the flight model and physics engine of the two products, and that makes this kind of update possible; X-Plane 10 mobile has been running the full X-Plane flight model, and now that you can touch the planes, you can see that all of those systems really do work.

• StumbleUpon
  • Google Buzz
This entry was posted in Development, News. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to X-Plane Mobile 10.4 – Start the 737

1. Chris says:

That looks pretty cool! I am not sure if the complexity is for me on such a small device, but awesome job! I am sure I will download an update though. Keep it up.

2. Günther Wittwar says:

Nice video. May I ask, where the beautifull white clouds does come from?
    On my PC clouds are looking as dark as smut.

Mobile uses an entirely different cloud engine…it’s less 3-d to cope with device limits. So they tend to look nice from far away but not up close.

• MarRog says:

“beautifull white clouds”
      Maybe that’s all it takes to make more desktop users happy with the default clouds; make them a bit whiter…

3. Omar says:

Is there any place where I can download an alpha or nightly build of the WED that allows us to place X-Plane 11 ground service vehicles? It’s the only thing left to do before I can release my X-Plane 11 scenery add-on 🙁

No, you have to compile from source. This is sort of intentional – I don’t really want you to release a “v11 compatible” scenery pack when the file formats are NOT finalized.

• Omar says:

Oh, I thought the file formats were finalized for the beta. You’re right then, I’ll wait till release. Thanks!

4. Carlos says:

Brilliant LR!!

5. Rob Terry says:

My Christmas CirrusJet flys like a dream on 10.4. On the other hand, my iPad 2 w/32 gig … 4.7 available won’t load the new $4.99 737-800. It just says “Loading” and eventually goes to a black screen.

Rob Terry

6. Hal Dale says:

How do you start the Cessna 172 and Cirrus from cold & dark? They both load running. I notice they left off the ATC chatter but it still a great mobile sim! Nothing else is close.

7. This looks like a great precursor to integrating it with Oculus Touch…………

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………..maybe. 😉

Loving it, in any case.