AI planes face two major issues in X-Plane 11:
- AI aircraft are often way more resource-intensive than they need to be. Users are fine paying a performance penalty to load, say, a super detailed 3-D cockpit model for their own aircraft, but for AI planes, where you’re never going to be in the cockpit, there’s no reason for that sort of thing. A significantly “dumbed down” version of the same aircraft would allow users to load more AI planes at once, with no visible downsides during normal use.
- Many aircraft, for one reason or another, simply won’t function at all when used as AI planes. This is most commonly due to one of two issues:
- reliance on third-party plugins (which only work for the user’s plane)
- lack of support from X-Plane for flying aircraft like this (for instance, the X-Plane AI doesn’t know how to fly gliders, seaplanes, or rockets)
As a user, this is really frustrating, because it’s difficult or impossible to know in advance which aircraft will work as AI planes and which will either a) just sit on the runway, never able to take off, and/or b) tank your frame rate.
Coming in X-Plane 11.10: AI-Only and User-Only Aircraft
In the upcoming X-Plane 11.10 beta, we’ve added two new options to Plane Maker’s Author window: “supports user flight” and “supports AI flight.” By default, all aircraft support user flight, and do not support use as AI aircraft.
If a plane is configured for AI flight only, it will never be shown in the normal aircraft grid—only in the AI aircraft window.
If a plane is configured for user-flight only (or if it’s a pre–11.10 aircraft with no “supported flight type” info), it will be hidden in the AI aircraft window by default, but for the sake of backward compatibility with old planes, users will still be able to reveal them by checking a box labeled “Show aircraft without AI support.”
In the Glorious Future, we envision third parties shipping two versions of their aircraft:
- one marked user only, which include all the bells and whistles, plugin-enhancements, and as much detail as possible
- one marked AI only, which is stripped down for performance, only using plugin enhancements that have been tested in AI configurations.
The result will be a faster, more consistent, less error prone experience for users.