A trip through the atmopshere

This is your skydome.  This is your sky dome on drugs.

Any questions?

This entry was posted in Blooper Reel, Development. Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to A trip through the atmopshere

1. chris says:

some crazy drugs.. hopefully thats not a view so to speak of an under the influenced pilot ha.

side note though, is that terrain v-9 scenery or v-10.. aka will v-10 global scenery look different quality wise

2. Dozer says:

sweet! The Northern Lights!

3. Nelson says:

Please, no aurora australis here in Brazil (as I see with X-Plane 9) 🙂

4. Jay Carr says:

Whew, glad to hear it's the sky that's on drugs. I was starting to worry about this pan of brownies I've been eating today...

5. Steve says:

Fun! But I *am* wondering what that cool new lighting system will look like as we approach a city at night. Taking requests, Ben?

6. Filippo says:

I was thinking it was time for me to look for new glasses... glad to know it was a joke hehehehe!!

By the way, beside the brand new cloud system, are there any changes in the way the sky is rendered (especially for high altitude flights)? I mean, I spent some time messing around with Orbiter (a free space flight simulator, for those who never heard of it) and I personally think the way it renders sky is very nice, subjectively (from my point of view) better than X-Plane 9. I wonder whether is there anything new going on for X-Plane 10 on this topic?

7. Mutley10G says:

I think you guys are sneaking in DNA sequencing ... organic self replicating aircraft?

Thanks for posting with such frequency - the XP10 hunger is strong. Starting to look at how to upgrade my mac!

8. Mutley10G says:

Actually, a thought that occurred to me - will the airports have much traffic - diverse types of traffic? Once I skilled up and learned to fly the aircraft well enough, I occasionally find the XP9 experience a little ... lonely!

9. Philipp says:

You should make this a feature: We already have a failure setting for wrong fuel type for the engine. How about another setting for incorrectly fueled pilots 😀

10. vonhinx says:

If you look up and see the real sky looking like that you're about to be microwaved 😉

11. carrotroot says:

You upgrade your mac by buying a new mac!

12. dbach says:

As welcomed as these diversions are, Ben, they are no substitute for re-instituting XP10 Tuesdays. 🙂

13. Jonathan says:

Last time you fed the sky LSD. What did you use this time? Whatever it is, it's cruel. I'm calling the Sky Protection Agency.

14. Mathias says:

I have a question about Dynamic Shadowing in x-plane 10:
    will the Contrail behind the airplane (at low temperatures) cast a shadow on the ground like they do in the real world?

No. Shadows are only cast by opaque, not translucent things.

• Jonathan says:

Would you see much of the shadow in the real world though? The sun isn't a point source. Add to that the usual altitude of contrails, and the shadow will have dispersed quite a bit when it hits the ground.

Then again, I'm not a real pilot. Maybe you can see a faint outline moving over the ground underneath you. But at least it will be faint.

I don't think you'd see contrails - too high up, too small, too translucent.

You do get cloud shadows -we handle them separately and dedicate an extra shadow layer to that.

• Mathias says:

in a recent flight in a 737-300 from ENBO to ENRY i looked at the ground and behind the shadow of the plane (yes the plane i was sitting in) i saw a quite big black trail behind the plane. first i thought it might be a rocket or something, but then i realized that it must be the Contrail behind the engines.