A number of third party authors (bravely) promised X-Plane 10 updates to their airplanes. And I believe that a tune-up to be X-Plane 10 compatible isn’t going to represent a lot of man hours.
That is, unless you try to do this job now.
I have a number of open bugs where version 9 airplanes don’t load quite right in X-Plane 10. If you have an X-Plane 9 airplane and you try to work around these bugs, a few things will happen:
- You will only be able to work around some of the bugs, as others are pretty hard-baked into the sim.
- When I actually fix the bugs (in the next weeks) your airplane will be “broken” yet again, since “fixing” the bugs now means trying to make a right with two wrongs.
So third party authors: please do file bugs if you haven’t already, and give us a little time to work through them. Please do not try to work around these bugs, only to have your airplane become “re-broken” when we get the sim corrected.
And users: please be patient with your third party airplane authors. They can’t make their plane v10 compatible until we fix some bugs, and if they try they’re just going to get thrashed.
There are some things that do need to be reworked for version 10, particularly for HDR mode. But a lot of the reports I get are just things that are funky in the sim.
How to File an Airplane Bug
Since I am getting deluged with bug reports, support requests, questions, etc. I want to describe the best way to get an airplane compatibility bug to us. By following these guidelines, you’ll make it easier for us to kill off compatibility bugs fast.
- Please file the bug only once. If you have filed the bug and haven’t heard that it’s fixed, you do not need to tell us in every new beta that it is still broken.
- File bugs via //dev.x-plane.com/support/bugreport.html. We can route this form to whomever we think is best suited to handle the bugs. Please do not just email the last person you conversed with directly.
- Please only file bugs if an airplane looks different in the latest X-Plane 10 build and X-Plane version 9.70. X-Plane 9.70 is the version 9 release that we are targeting – no older version!
- Please get us reproduction materials – preferably a complete ACF pack, and preferably a cut down one if it can be simplified.
- Send us the v9 .acf file, before any modifications. We want to see what your customers would have seen if they just tried to use the plane. If you send us a version resaved in X-Plane 10, we don’t know what happened.
- Please provide illustrations of how the plane should look in version 9 vs how it does look in version 10. We need a reference point.
- Please try to keep reproduction steps as short as possible. If we have to make a 2 hours flight with 400 waypoints to see a bug, that’s a time sink for us.
A number of you have already sent us good bug reports – we will get to them as quick as I can. If all goes well tonight my fires will be out and I’ll be able to jump into this shortly.